Skip to main content

Pumpkin Pancakes for Dinner

Even as an adult, breakfast for dinner has not lost its charm. It's a deviation from the norm and it pleases everybody; no food battles here. Waffles, pancakes, french toast (stuffed and baked OH! the joy!) scones, puffed apple bakes along with eggs, bacon and either barnyard cocktail or a little Sun Warrior protein shake to balance things out. One of my favorites is a fabulous pumpkin pancake recipe found on allrecipes.com, that is not only healthy but delicious. I've also put a spin on the toppings, removing that oh-so-naughty 'not maple syrup' (unless you buy pure maple syrup, what you are getting in the cereal aisle at the grocery store ain't syrup. I don't know what that stuff is other than scary!) and using either Xagave* or a combination of pure apple sauce and plain yogurt dusted with cinnamon. Here's the other plus, I double the recipe and put six pancakes in a ziploc bag and store in the freezer as our own homemade 'toaster panacakes.' We get out a bag the night before and heat them up a little the next morning for quick and tasty breakfasts.

Pumpkin Pancake Recipe
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 egg
2 T vegetable oil (I use pure coconut oil)
2 T vinegar
2 cups flour (well, you can use unbleached white or any mixture of wheat, brown rice, spelt, almond, coconut flours)
3 T brown sugar (I use sucanat or natural evaporated cane sugar)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
*I add chocolate chips and ground flax seed to the mix. Last night I threw in some unsweetened coconut.

Directions: Mix together wet ingredients in a separate bowl from combined and mixed dry ingredients. Stir wet ingredients into dry just enough to combine. Pour or scoop batter onto griddle using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake.









Topping
Pure Unsweetened Apple Sauce
Fage or Greek Yogurt, plain
Vanilla Creme Stevia
Cinnamon
Or of course an assortment of fresh fruit (with the yogurt is very tasty)

Directions: Mix desired amount of yogurt with 5-8 drops of liquid stevia; theVanilla Creme is awesome. Top with some applesauce and dust with cinnamon. Otherwise, for the kids mostly, butter those babies up and pour some Xagave. *Remember, butter (natural, un-salted) is a good fat (but yes, do be careful because calories still count) for slowing down the absorption of the carbohydrates from the pancakes and preventing blood-sugar levels from spiking and leading to fat storage. Also, as this is a carbohydrate-rich meal, I'd recommend eating this earlier in the evening than later. 

By the way, I'm not a photographer. I don't pretend to be one in real life nor have I played one on TV. I bake, point and shoot. I'm just anxious to eat it and enjoy it.

*Xagave is a particular brand of agave that I have researched a little and feel okay about their extraction process and overall trust their product as a sugar replacement/substitute. I do know that most agave is highly processed and not a great deal better than most sugars.


Oh the happy baby with pancakes - yes, the chocolate chips make it messy. But cute!


Barnyard Cocktail Drink
Desired amount of orange juice
Probably about 1 tablespoon of dry milk
A dash of vanilla extract
A few ice cubes

Pour all ingredients in a blender and blend until ice is nice and crushed and there is a tempting foamy top. Just like an orange julius. So tasty!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ah The Joys Of Summer!

Life is nuts isn't it? And we all know that it never really calms down - the challenges simply change. School's out. Yay!! (No - that's not me talking, that's my kids). My two youngest are fighting like the world might end tomorrow and they need to let each other know how annoying and despicable the other one thinks they are. The toddler manhandles Preston's Lego car and Preston throws it in anger yelling that the toddler ruined it - and not just the Lego car - his LIFE! "This is the worst day of my life!" Sigh. I suggest a simple and relaxing game of Candy Land. They show up to the game table with their best of poker faces and they are not going to let anyone or anything steal away their chance at sweet victory. Accusations of cheating and board-manipulation fly, all the while the toddler simply moves his piece from one spot to the next which is simply just too much to take for the real players. The game is over and nobody is ever playing again. My mi

Gratitude and Re-Committing

I didn't get the 'memo' but it looks like people are doing a 22 days of gratitude type of deal in lieu of the Thanksgiving holiday. Despite it being a little cliche, there's never a really good reason to not jump on board a gratitude wagon. Aside from that, I was also inspired by the lesson in one of my church meetings yesterday, that was simply on kindness, to re-commit to a few very important goals. 1. I am grateful for all four of mine, his, and our children. Parenting and step-parenting has proven to be one of the greatest ongoing challenges of my life. Not one of my kids is like the other. They all have unique stuggles, quirks and personalities that make me want to sometimes either squeeze them like crazy with happiness or frustration. ;) They are constantly reminding me (unverbally) of what my priorities should be and they are constantly teaching me patience. If I can keep calm and carry on (thanks Mr. Churchill), I think I might actually be okay at this parenti

Power in a Bowl

I have to attribute this fabulous recipe to my sister-in-law who has been my bosom buddy in wholesome eating for the last couple of years. She got involved with it when her son was diagnosed with speech apraxia. Since then we have shared the information we glean with one another. It is quite helpful to have someone who understands all this jargon because quite frankly, no one else does! My darling mother and wonderful father (whom I both adore) think it is all a bunch of malarkey. My dad makes fun of me by reading ingredients lists and throws in items like, arsenic, rat poison and WD-40. It's cool - I laugh. But honestly, the ingredients in alot foods might just as well be arsenic or petrol. This wonderful meal (which I have been having for lunch since I am still having my Isagenix shakes for breakfast) truly is a hearty meal. The one ingredient I failed to include in this obviously non-professionally-taken picture are Cacao Nibs. Whoa nelly those things are nasty on their own bu