Skip to main content

This Virus Thing BLOWS! Who Else Isn't Experiencing Rainbows and Unicorns?

Friends! It's too early to send up the white flag but I'm holding it in my hand ready to go! Oi vay! This quarantine thing ain't for me!  School's out for summer (not yet really but I'm not holding my breath) but we can't hang with friends, go to the pool, museum, movies, eat-out, or even hit the gym. And isn't it ironic that I had just barely made a goal to have set, working hours during my day? Now I'm having to get super creative with everything I still have to do on a regular basis now with homeschooling forced onto my plate (which I have chosen not to do up to this point for a reason), businesses shutting down, friends losing jobs, small businesses struggling (more friends) and there's still no toilet paper! I'm struggling! And apparently, no one can spare a square! (I can't believe I haven't seen any meme's using that one yet!) I tend to be optimistic and I do my best to #spreadpositivity and #bethelight (can't seem to write without hashtags now apparently either) but I'm also a realist and man - this whole scenario ain't easy! In fact for me, that's putting it lightly. This bites.

Truly - I am not knocking anyone that has posted pics of their kids at the table doing homework but I
swear they have either been drugged, bribed or it's photo-shopped. Attempting homework around here comes with weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth and very dramatic full body throws to the floor. If I was a better mom I would make sure they're okay but I go and look at the floor to make sure they didn't bust it (I joke!). With the fits he throws, it's a miracle that my youngest has made it through any schooling. And on top of that, my husband is now home part-time. People - I love my husband. I also love MY SPACE! And bless him, I have always been that way; I enjoy alone time writing, listening to music or going for a mountain bike ride or skiing. So now, I have four boys in the house  that have very strong personalities and can be very obstinate. Only one of them tends to be on the other-end of the spectrum whom I have had to lecture about not being a people-pleaser in the past. In this scenario, I do appreciate that trait more than I normally would. Then of course there is the dog who also seems to be abnormally clingy following me wherever I go and has to be either touching me or on top of me. I just want everyone to get along and do what I say no questions asked! Why is that so difficult?!

Seriously folks, this is not an easy situation. And quite honestly, there should be more validation going around because the biggest factor in this whole thing is UNCERTAINTY. People aren't getting paychecks, small business are struggling, hospitals are overwhelmed and no one has an answer to when this is going to end. I think most of us are figuring that school may be out for summer. So, let's do what we can to spread some goodness, be positive but also acknowledge we are going to have some tough days! And today is one of those days. We may have days when we are scared! We will definitely have days when we are overwhelmed! We can help each other through this! I will be blogging daily about the wins, about the struggles and I'll work to keep it short and sweet and entertaining! And I guess I'll get a TikTok account and start making dance videos with my angsty kids. It's what I do. And have frosted cookies once in awhile because hey, may life be filled with #adventuresandfrosting !

Good luck my friends. We can do hard things! Love to you all!

Brittany

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ah The Joys Of Summer!

Life is nuts isn't it? And we all know that it never really calms down - the challenges simply change. School's out. Yay!! (No - that's not me talking, that's my kids). My two youngest are fighting like the world might end tomorrow and they need to let each other know how annoying and despicable the other one thinks they are. The toddler manhandles Preston's Lego car and Preston throws it in anger yelling that the toddler ruined it - and not just the Lego car - his LIFE! "This is the worst day of my life!" Sigh. I suggest a simple and relaxing game of Candy Land. They show up to the game table with their best of poker faces and they are not going to let anyone or anything steal away their chance at sweet victory. Accusations of cheating and board-manipulation fly, all the while the toddler simply moves his piece from one spot to the next which is simply just too much to take for the real players. The game is over and nobody is ever playing again. My mi

I Can Only Change ME

I CAN ONLY CHANGE ME Welcome my friend! I have taken some time-off (well, a lot of time off) but the break - and long awaited return - is over! And I figured there was no better way to jump back in to this than to re-state what the whole purpose of this blog is. (Are blogs on the out now? Do I need a .com address to be 'legit?' Well, whatever, this is where I'm startin'!) The crazy part is, over the years, this ONE key concept - I CAN ONLY CHANGE ME - is what I keep coming back to and what my ultimate fallback is. I may be a slow learner folks, but I'll probably never get it. Yes - that is not a typo - I probably will  never master this, but I sure can work at it every day! As I say that, I realize I need to offer my kids and my husband way more grace and forgiveness than I do because I am myself am a repeat offender in all things bad and luckily all things good as well. This right here is the foundation to this whole blog: You can't change anyone but your

Have a laugh!

I have a super simple short post to write today.  Now stick with me on this - you'll be confused for a minute... I can totally write this while I look at your cute freckled face. And your giggles make me happy! Are you impressed yet? You need a haircut. And your teeth to be cleaned - don't frowny face me young man! Your freckles will not make up for your nasty dirty teeth! And you have chocolate on your face. Stick your tongue back in your mouth and go wash it off your face! I just typed all that while looking at my son and he read it as I typed. He was of course extremely impressed with my mad skillz, but also got a good laugh out of it. Do you make your kids laugh? Every day? That's actually one of my biggest goals - to make everyone in my family laugh at least once! Not because I'm funny (although - here's to hoping!) but because laughter is good for the soul; on a physiological level - did you know that? When you smile and laugh, it releases the feel-goo