Skip to main content

Just Your Typical Day - No Words of Wisdom Here

Today was amazing. Preston leaves his toys all over the house then totally flips out when Bentley stumbles across one of them and claims it to play with for five minutes. Riots ensue, tears are shed, and tantrums are thrown. It's totally awesome. Then I go to Kohl's to find a simple ring to wear on my ring finger while my wedding ring gets fixed and Preston insists that something must be bought for him. He leaves disgruntled and frustrated that not only could he not find something of interest, but NO money was spent on his behalf. He would have been excited to pay for a cardboard box out of the stock room in the name of spending money. Not sure where he gets this from as money does not burn holes in my pockets. I know that when I decide that I want or need something, I go searching (but the 'you-won't-find-it-if-you-are-looking-for-it-or-need-it' law has never been broken). I only seem to find items when I either don't have the money to spend or I'm not looking. Grrrr.

At any rate, out of pity I tell him I'll at the least buy him a cookie. But his whining and antics about poor Preston not finding anything to buy (with my money) then drive me in the opposite direction and there ain't going to be no cookie-buying, cardboard-box buying or even scrounging up something pleasant at home with that pity-party-racket going on. (I won't even go into the total meltdown that happened after I told him to stop whining about his chores or he'd get another chore to do - and then did. Amazing. And I only wish 'amazing' was being used in a positive context).

And now, he's reading and happy and calm and wanting hugs and ready to be tucked in and I'm all 'funned out.' Oh well, go to bed and start a new. In the meantime, I also seem to be cursed with sprinklers that are attached to a house in my name. They suck - as in sucking the life out of my grass. I watch all the zones come on and the sprinklers appear to be hitting all the necessary spots, but the quickly browning and crunchy grass that is appearing in ragged spots would suggest otherwise. My 'apparently competent' sprinklers appear to be less than competent and I get to roam the yard in five minute shifts dragging a tangled mass of heavy green hose around my large side yard. I love it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ah The Joys Of Summer!

Life is nuts isn't it? And we all know that it never really calms down - the challenges simply change. School's out. Yay!! (No - that's not me talking, that's my kids). My two youngest are fighting like the world might end tomorrow and they need to let each other know how annoying and despicable the other one thinks they are. The toddler manhandles Preston's Lego car and Preston throws it in anger yelling that the toddler ruined it - and not just the Lego car - his LIFE! "This is the worst day of my life!" Sigh. I suggest a simple and relaxing game of Candy Land. They show up to the game table with their best of poker faces and they are not going to let anyone or anything steal away their chance at sweet victory. Accusations of cheating and board-manipulation fly, all the while the toddler simply moves his piece from one spot to the next which is simply just too much to take for the real players. The game is over and nobody is ever playing again. My mi

Gratitude and Re-Committing

I didn't get the 'memo' but it looks like people are doing a 22 days of gratitude type of deal in lieu of the Thanksgiving holiday. Despite it being a little cliche, there's never a really good reason to not jump on board a gratitude wagon. Aside from that, I was also inspired by the lesson in one of my church meetings yesterday, that was simply on kindness, to re-commit to a few very important goals. 1. I am grateful for all four of mine, his, and our children. Parenting and step-parenting has proven to be one of the greatest ongoing challenges of my life. Not one of my kids is like the other. They all have unique stuggles, quirks and personalities that make me want to sometimes either squeeze them like crazy with happiness or frustration. ;) They are constantly reminding me (unverbally) of what my priorities should be and they are constantly teaching me patience. If I can keep calm and carry on (thanks Mr. Churchill), I think I might actually be okay at this parenti

The Plan

I guess I should first make a big disclosure about little Preston and what ADHD looks like for him so we all have a better gauge on if the Mars Venus approach works for him. Oh, my little Preston. He has a good heart and a sweet spirit, truly. I know the 'true' Preston wants to help, is empathetic and wants to succeed. I only get glimpses of that Preston when he is having an 'on' day and his brain is doing a better job producing what it should be. These glimpses of the 'true' Preston are hard because it makes him seem like he is capable of, well, being a pretty normal eight-year-old. And that is the hardest part about ADHD is that these kids on most levels appear to be totally normal. But they aren't. Preston's psychologist mentioned to us once a conversation he had with a teen that had ADHD. He said that if there were two things he could tell parents of kids with ADHD it would be 1) Don't give up and 2) Don't judge them by their 'good'