Skip to main content

Nachos - MODified For Good

I love nachos. Super nachos are even better - piled high with all sorts of decliciousness. However, unfortunately I don't usually indulge in said deliciousness because they have such a bad reputation - I would guess mostly due to the inordinate amounts of cheese. So, I decided to change things around a bit so I can have my nachos and eat them too. And so can you.

First, the nacho - You have more options than you think you do here. I've used the multi grain Chips from Costco that are made with flax and some good ingredients too. The Terra Chips that are made from beet root veggies are a brilliant option as well (although some of those chips are particularly crisp - like hard crisp). This round I felt even more brilliant just using Simple Truth Organic Sweet Potato Chips (and you could even make your own). Regardless, these chips are good way to go and I usually go by the serving size as far as amount goes which in this case was 17 chips.

Second, the salsa. Sometimes I like to put my salsa on the chip prior to broiling so it gets a little warmed-up. This time, I only broiled the chips and the organic cheese and added all other toppings after. The right kind of salsa is fabulous way to get some veggie on - tomatoes, onions, garlic, jalapenos and cilantro are all great for you. You can also make your own. I happened to recently stumble upon an organic, raw pineapple mango salsa sold at one of my locally-owned health shops. And WOW - it is super amazing chalk-full of amazing stuff.

Additional toppings can include grilled chicken, guacamole, straight avocado, or plain greek yogurt to sub for the sour cream. I honestly can't tell the difference in taste between the two and I'm getting some good probiotics on top of some protein. I've been scaling back just a bit in the meats department so I've been passing on the chicken at the moment. I still get good and satisfied without it.

As for a little note on cheese - cheese is good in my book. Yes it is dairy and yes it has fat and extra calories. I've got to tell you though - I LOVE CHEESE. If there was one thing that would keep me from going vegan - it would be my love affair with cheese. This is simply one area where I get to exercise moderation. On the other hand it does have protein and it makes me happy. When buying cheese, organic is better and always watch out for cheeses that have Nytacin in them; it is a mold inhibitor but is an antibiotic derivative which will still kill off good bacteria in your body. We don't need more reason to make our bodies immune to antibiotics for when we really need them as well.

So, all in all, put your chips on a cookie sheet and top with some cheese and broil to the cheese is bubbly. I quickly remove and top with salsa, Fage yogurt, ready to go single serving guac (the fat in guac and avocado also helps counterbalance some of the carbs in your chips. Fat helps slow the absorption of sugars in the body which in turn helps our body to not have to store the sugars as fat). And finally, a go-around with freshly ground pepper and you have healthy, happy nachos without the guilt. Indulging without indulging. And they are amazingly filling. Employ and enjoy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ah The Joys Of Summer!

Life is nuts isn't it? And we all know that it never really calms down - the challenges simply change. School's out. Yay!! (No - that's not me talking, that's my kids). My two youngest are fighting like the world might end tomorrow and they need to let each other know how annoying and despicable the other one thinks they are. The toddler manhandles Preston's Lego car and Preston throws it in anger yelling that the toddler ruined it - and not just the Lego car - his LIFE! "This is the worst day of my life!" Sigh. I suggest a simple and relaxing game of Candy Land. They show up to the game table with their best of poker faces and they are not going to let anyone or anything steal away their chance at sweet victory. Accusations of cheating and board-manipulation fly, all the while the toddler simply moves his piece from one spot to the next which is simply just too much to take for the real players. The game is over and nobody is ever playing again. My mi

Gratitude and Re-Committing

I didn't get the 'memo' but it looks like people are doing a 22 days of gratitude type of deal in lieu of the Thanksgiving holiday. Despite it being a little cliche, there's never a really good reason to not jump on board a gratitude wagon. Aside from that, I was also inspired by the lesson in one of my church meetings yesterday, that was simply on kindness, to re-commit to a few very important goals. 1. I am grateful for all four of mine, his, and our children. Parenting and step-parenting has proven to be one of the greatest ongoing challenges of my life. Not one of my kids is like the other. They all have unique stuggles, quirks and personalities that make me want to sometimes either squeeze them like crazy with happiness or frustration. ;) They are constantly reminding me (unverbally) of what my priorities should be and they are constantly teaching me patience. If I can keep calm and carry on (thanks Mr. Churchill), I think I might actually be okay at this parenti

Day One

I have to admit that I went to bed excited and woke up excited - I have alot of faith that the shakes and supplements will work for Preston. I was listening to a woman talk yesterday and she mentioned that God has the power to do anything - if it is the right course of action. She said that it didn't matter what anybody told you (you will never be able to have kids, you have six months to live) because if you had faith and didn't give up, anything could happen. This really struck me as I know several people and have heard stories of people beating the odds; I have even heard of a few miracles. I know people that were told they wouldn't have children, and now have a family. Miracles do happen and I think they happen when there is alot faith. This thought gave me strength and I am excited because anything can happen really. With that being said, when I got Preston back from his dad last night I gave him 1 C-Lyte and 1 Grapefruit Seed Extract capsule. I need to first say t