Skip to main content

Experiencing Loss and Brighter Days Ahead


Today is a good day to connect with people. Every day is a good day to share yourself with people! As humans, we need that connection and we need to know that we aren't alone in our experiences! The first time I truly felt that comfort in knowing I wasn't alone was when I had my first miscarriage. I was twelve weeks pregnant with my first baby when at the ultrasound, the heartbeat we heard at eight weeks was no longer there. As it turns out, it wasn't long after that first appointment that my baby's heart stopped beating. I went for four weeks sick and miserable not having a clue that I had miscarried. I had to make the decision to continue to wait to hopefully officially miscarry or have a D and C; I chose the latter.

Several years later after I had had a live birth, I was excited to be pregnant again (I had divorced and remarried since my first kiddo so the year span was simply due to life and not an inability to get pregnant). I was even more excited to find out I was pregnant with a girl! At twenty weeks, my husband and I experienced the heartbreaking news that we had lost our baby and as I was farther along, we decided to induce labor and deliver our little girl. We held that tiny little body and counted her fingers and toes and grieved. 


During both experiences, as friends heard of our experience, people began reaching-out to comfort as they too had experienced loss of pregnancy or infant. It was wonderful to know that I was not alone in this experience and people could relate to how I was feeling and what I was going through. 

When others experience loss there is always the question of 'do I say something?' The answer is YES. We never really know what to say or how to say it - oftentimes we may not be able to actually say, "I understand what you are going through." That is okay. No one expects anyone to say the perfect thing or have any answers to the question that everyone asks: WHY did this have to happen. You say something because it simply lets that person know that you care; you are thinking of them, praying for them and are having hope for them that there are brighter days ahead. And my friends, there are brighter days ahead.

A miscarriage IS a loss. Whether it is eight weeks, 16 weeks or a still birth - it is a a loss. Grieve, mourn and take the time to acknowledge your feelings and know that they are valid. Let people grieve with you and gather strength from those that have been in your shoes. Also know that no matter what, there is a path and a plan for you regardless of what that may be. You may get pregnant again. You may experience another loss. You may have kids, you may not. Have faith that everything happens for a reason. 

Have you considered that many of your experiences aren't solely for you? Our experiences and what we learn from them may in fact be for other people. It can be difficult to open-up and share yourself with others but you never know who you can lift-up through your own personal journey.

Many years ago I dated a fellow that amidst our relationship I took a step back and realized he wasn't meant for me. We had great conversations, got along and had fun but there wasn't a spark and at the end of the day, he didn't really laugh at me in all my hilarious splendor! We obviously parted ways and oftentimes wondered, what did I get from that relationship? (Yes, I reflect on everything that happens in my life and what the take away's are). 

Years later I received an email from this fellow. After some brief chit-chat he said, "I just want to thank you. I learned a lot from you while we were dating and you inspired me to finally get therapy for things that happened in my past that I needed to deal with. That therapy helped me overcome some of my issues and lead me to my wife who I was able to commit to and marry!" Of course the lightbulb went off and I realized that relationship wasn't for me. I'm not saying I'm an amazing person changing lives, however, not all life experience is intended just for us; I  was in that relationship for him. That made it all worth it and that point hasn't left me to this day. 


So my friends, know that you can get through life's challenges. Know that your experience will help you grow and will also impact others if you share it. 

Brittany


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ah The Joys Of Summer!

Life is nuts isn't it? And we all know that it never really calms down - the challenges simply change. School's out. Yay!! (No - that's not me talking, that's my kids). My two youngest are fighting like the world might end tomorrow and they need to let each other know how annoying and despicable the other one thinks they are. The toddler manhandles Preston's Lego car and Preston throws it in anger yelling that the toddler ruined it - and not just the Lego car - his LIFE! "This is the worst day of my life!" Sigh. I suggest a simple and relaxing game of Candy Land. They show up to the game table with their best of poker faces and they are not going to let anyone or anything steal away their chance at sweet victory. Accusations of cheating and board-manipulation fly, all the while the toddler simply moves his piece from one spot to the next which is simply just too much to take for the real players. The game is over and nobody is ever playing again. My mi

Gratitude and Re-Committing

I didn't get the 'memo' but it looks like people are doing a 22 days of gratitude type of deal in lieu of the Thanksgiving holiday. Despite it being a little cliche, there's never a really good reason to not jump on board a gratitude wagon. Aside from that, I was also inspired by the lesson in one of my church meetings yesterday, that was simply on kindness, to re-commit to a few very important goals. 1. I am grateful for all four of mine, his, and our children. Parenting and step-parenting has proven to be one of the greatest ongoing challenges of my life. Not one of my kids is like the other. They all have unique stuggles, quirks and personalities that make me want to sometimes either squeeze them like crazy with happiness or frustration. ;) They are constantly reminding me (unverbally) of what my priorities should be and they are constantly teaching me patience. If I can keep calm and carry on (thanks Mr. Churchill), I think I might actually be okay at this parenti

The Plan

I guess I should first make a big disclosure about little Preston and what ADHD looks like for him so we all have a better gauge on if the Mars Venus approach works for him. Oh, my little Preston. He has a good heart and a sweet spirit, truly. I know the 'true' Preston wants to help, is empathetic and wants to succeed. I only get glimpses of that Preston when he is having an 'on' day and his brain is doing a better job producing what it should be. These glimpses of the 'true' Preston are hard because it makes him seem like he is capable of, well, being a pretty normal eight-year-old. And that is the hardest part about ADHD is that these kids on most levels appear to be totally normal. But they aren't. Preston's psychologist mentioned to us once a conversation he had with a teen that had ADHD. He said that if there were two things he could tell parents of kids with ADHD it would be 1) Don't give up and 2) Don't judge them by their 'good'