Skip to main content

My Little Louie Zamperini

So, why are 5K's and what not referred to as 'fun runs?' For me, running isn't fun. I used to like it but I'd rather put burning sticks in my eyeballs as opposed to run now. Maybe it's just because I can't get very far running anymore because I have a tight IT band that causes a problem for my knee. Dang. At any rate, it was the annual 'fun run' at Preston's school on Friday and Bus and I came out to walk it with him. As the kids all took off in a mass of confusion, Preston decided last minute that he wanted to run it with his friends. I told him to go for it and I'd see him at the end; he took off like he had rockets attached to his ankles. I took a short-cut as I walked the route thinking I'd catch him at some point but a friend told me that he had come racing through ahead of me awhile ago. I've been looking for his talents as of late - something that he excels at (and this is critical for him because of his 'natural' depressive/pessimistic tendency) and I think I found it - this kid is going to be a star running back and field and track star. He's a fast little bugger.

Here is the other thought I've been chewing on for awhile that my husband and I actually debated: are some people born to be more pessimistic while other's more optimistic? Is Preston 'naturally' or 'wired' more pessimistic and depressed? My opinion is yes and here is why: we were all created differently, pre-wired with specific gifts and talents and certain ailments and challenges. All of us are here to put to use the talents and skills we have and work to overcome our weaknesses and shortcomings. The mental arena gets a little tricky because sometimes it seems that there are some ailments that are almost impossible (if not totally impossible) to overcome. There are several personality disorders that even with weekly therapy rarely are overcome. However, I am of the opinion that if you decide to do something and put in the effort, there are no limits.

I'm reading 'Unbroken' by Laura Hillenbrand at the moment (it's driving me a little nuts because I find myself wide awake and reading furiously at one in the morning) and the author brings up the same question - are we pre-wired? Are our viewpoints a product of upbringing and environment? Is it a combination of the two? Louie Zamperini was a track star at the 1936 Berlin Olympics.That guy could run fast. He was also a tremendous troublemaker and extremely resourceful as a young boy; he was super naughty and drove his mother to her wits' end. He joined the army before the draft, became a bombadier and winds up in a two-man life raft with two other men for 46 days after his plane crashes (it's in the prologue so I'm not spoiling anything). Himself and the pilot spend their days talking about the future, talking about their families, plans for after the war - neither one actually considers that they might die in that raft although it seems practically impossible to survive. The third fellow, Mac, sat in silence; "he couldn't imagine a future. To him it seemed, the world was too far gone." (147)

The author continues with the following:

It remains a mystery why these three young men, veterans of the same training and the same crash, differed so radically in their perceptions of their plight. Maybe the difference was biological; some men may be wired for optimism, others for doubt. As a toddler, Louie had leapt from a train and watched it bear his family away, yet had remained cheerfully unconcerned about his safety, suggesting that he may have been born an optimist. Perhaps the men's histories had given them opposing convictions about their capacity to overcome adversity. Phil was a deeply religious man, carrying a faith instilled in him by his parents. "I had told Al several times before to always do his best as he knew how to do it," Phil's father once wrote, "and when things get beyond his skill and ability to ask the Lord to step in and help out."

The following is what I admire about Louie the most:

From earliest childhood, Louie had regarded every limitation placed on him as a challenge to his wits, his resourcefulness, and his determination to rebel. The result had been a mutinous youth. As maddening as his exploits had been for his parents and his town, Louie's success in carrything them off had given him the conviction that he could think his way around any boundary. Now, as he was cast into extremity, despair and death became the foucs of his defiance. The same attributes that had made him the boy terror of Torrance were keeping him alive in the greatest struggle of his life.

Though all three men faced the same hardship, their differing perceptions of it appeared to shaping their fates. Louie and Phil's hope displaced their fear and inspired them to work toward their survival. Mac's resignation seemed to paralyze him, and the less he participated in their efforts to survive, the more he slipped. Louie and Phil's optimism, and Mac's hopelessness, were becoming self-fulfilling. (148)

I do believe that what you think about, you bring about. I related this story to Preston the other night as he was going on a pessimistic and 'bleak future' tirade - and I pointed out that he does have the ability to change things. If he thinks he'll never have friends, he's probably right. If he thinks he will have friends, he's probably right. I've also heard from several parents lately (in casusal conversation but it must obviously be a message I need to hear) the importance of building kids up. There are two ways to go about everything, especially parenting, and that is to go from a place of positives or a place of negatives. My big goal this week is to put a positive spin on everything; rather than say 'no' say, 'yes, as soon as your chores are done.' "Yes, that sounds like fun sometime in the next week or two."  "Wow Preston! You're pretty resourceful and I'm impressed that you find ways of getting what you want. Now it's time to go in the dungeon for stealing my stash of dark chocolate. Just think of it as hide and go seek with no way of getting out! Fun huh?!" Ha! Just kidding. I guess when he is resourceful but naughty, I just pull my Love and Logic on him. I'm putting it out there that he will be my little Louie Zamperini and although he may lean more toward a born pessimist, there is still the chance of that environmental influence. Would you say it is pre-wiring or environmental?

Comments

  1. This is a riot!!! Yes - moms do indeed have dull, boring, drab lives.
    You've got it right. Stick to a schedule! Planned activities and lots of READING. Can't say enough about reading. Set goals and give out rewards when books get finished.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ah The Joys Of Summer!

Life is nuts isn't it? And we all know that it never really calms down - the challenges simply change. School's out. Yay!! (No - that's not me talking, that's my kids). My two youngest are fighting like the world might end tomorrow and they need to let each other know how annoying and despicable the other one thinks they are. The toddler manhandles Preston's Lego car and Preston throws it in anger yelling that the toddler ruined it - and not just the Lego car - his LIFE! "This is the worst day of my life!" Sigh. I suggest a simple and relaxing game of Candy Land. They show up to the game table with their best of poker faces and they are not going to let anyone or anything steal away their chance at sweet victory. Accusations of cheating and board-manipulation fly, all the while the toddler simply moves his piece from one spot to the next which is simply just too much to take for the real players. The game is over and nobody is ever playing again. My mi

I Can Only Change ME

I CAN ONLY CHANGE ME Welcome my friend! I have taken some time-off (well, a lot of time off) but the break - and long awaited return - is over! And I figured there was no better way to jump back in to this than to re-state what the whole purpose of this blog is. (Are blogs on the out now? Do I need a .com address to be 'legit?' Well, whatever, this is where I'm startin'!) The crazy part is, over the years, this ONE key concept - I CAN ONLY CHANGE ME - is what I keep coming back to and what my ultimate fallback is. I may be a slow learner folks, but I'll probably never get it. Yes - that is not a typo - I probably will  never master this, but I sure can work at it every day! As I say that, I realize I need to offer my kids and my husband way more grace and forgiveness than I do because I am myself am a repeat offender in all things bad and luckily all things good as well. This right here is the foundation to this whole blog: You can't change anyone but your

Have a laugh!

I have a super simple short post to write today.  Now stick with me on this - you'll be confused for a minute... I can totally write this while I look at your cute freckled face. And your giggles make me happy! Are you impressed yet? You need a haircut. And your teeth to be cleaned - don't frowny face me young man! Your freckles will not make up for your nasty dirty teeth! And you have chocolate on your face. Stick your tongue back in your mouth and go wash it off your face! I just typed all that while looking at my son and he read it as I typed. He was of course extremely impressed with my mad skillz, but also got a good laugh out of it. Do you make your kids laugh? Every day? That's actually one of my biggest goals - to make everyone in my family laugh at least once! Not because I'm funny (although - here's to hoping!) but because laughter is good for the soul; on a physiological level - did you know that? When you smile and laugh, it releases the feel-goo