Skip to main content

Easy Summer Pies

I took a two week hiatus from this here blog (my apologies folks) to enjoy some good old-fashioned family fun over the fourth, welcome some long-lost family members (step-daughter and husband) back into the grind and head out of town for a little vacation. We had the kids leave cell phones at home (after all, we didn't have that luxury growing up and they don't really need it right now either) and we drove about forty-five minutes to our destination where we stayed in a three-bedroom condo and did all the 'touristy' things in a town that I know like the back of my hand. It was a blast!


We watched cable TV (we only get our local channels at home - so pre-historic I know!), grilled, swam, bowled, rode down the alpine slide and the kids navigated a tricky 'adventure course' 30 feet off the ground. Hubby and I tried to relax a little (at least the best I could as a parent with four kids) but I find more solace grocery shopping alone these days than any family vacation and that says alot simply because grocery shopping used to be the bain of my existence. Oh how things change. 




And now back to the daily roasting - as in me running through my energy reserves quickly in the day with a house full of bored, hot and whiny kids. Oi vay. But now we are in full summer swing with grilling, fresh vegetables (corn on the cob anyone?) and one of our family favorites - yogurt pie. And what I love about this dish is that everyone absolutely loves it and it is the easiest thing you could possibly make! Seriously.
Summer Yogurt Pie
1 Tub Tru Whip (or Cool Whip - I just like the more natural version)
2 Fruit-Flavored Yogurts - we like raspberry (again, try to avoid high fructose corn syrup and the naughties)
1 Graham Cracker Pie Crust

Simply mix the Tru Whip and two yogurts together well in a large bowl and pour into the prepared graham cracker pie crust. Refrigerate until set and then mmmm.

Now, this time I actually made my pie crust because at two local, non-earthy grocery stores I stopped by I couldn't find a pre-made crust without high fructose corn syrup or partially hydrogenated oil in them. Sooo, I ground up some of my non-naughty list graham crackers that I already had on hand with a few vanilla animal crackers, stirred some melted butter and about 1/8 cup of Xagave into the crackers and then pressed the mixture into a 9-inch glass pie plate. I didn't bake it or even fridge it before pouring the filling inside. Apparently, it's the best crust they've ever had. Blush.

Another simple tasty pie, that I like to call 'Not-A-Cheesecake-Pie' is as follows:
1 Tub Tru Whip
1 Can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1/3 Cup Lemon Juice
1/2 tsp. Almond Extract

Optional: Top with fruit (mmmm, raspberries). I'm an almond extract fanatic which is why I adore this pie.

On this same Sunday afternoon, I also tried my hand and two home-made pizza's, a Tangy Bar-B-Que Chicken Pizza, and a regular pizza with Aidell's Apple Sausage on top that turned out phenomenal (everyone snarfed down the BBQ Chicken like it was their last meal)! I bought some pre-made dough at the store the day before and rolled it out on my bar pan. I made the sauce with organic ketchup, Pampered Chef Buffalo Bar-B-Que rub, apple cider vinegar, garlic and some salt and pepper. It was perfect. I took it from a pampered chef cookbook so I can't claim cleverness for that one. Topped it with chicken, olives, mozzarella and cheddar cheese, some red onions and a touch of cilantro. Super tasty and not too involved for home-made!

The second pizza we ad-hoced with 8 oz of tomato sauce, salt and pepper, garlic, italian seasoning and a touch of red pepper. We topped this with mozz and cheddar, the grilled and sliced sausage, olives, green peppers and onions.









Either way, my 18-monther couldn't shovel the pieces in fast enough... (notice the blurring hand racing to deliver pizza bite to mouth).



Here's to summer!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ah The Joys Of Summer!

Life is nuts isn't it? And we all know that it never really calms down - the challenges simply change. School's out. Yay!! (No - that's not me talking, that's my kids). My two youngest are fighting like the world might end tomorrow and they need to let each other know how annoying and despicable the other one thinks they are. The toddler manhandles Preston's Lego car and Preston throws it in anger yelling that the toddler ruined it - and not just the Lego car - his LIFE! "This is the worst day of my life!" Sigh. I suggest a simple and relaxing game of Candy Land. They show up to the game table with their best of poker faces and they are not going to let anyone or anything steal away their chance at sweet victory. Accusations of cheating and board-manipulation fly, all the while the toddler simply moves his piece from one spot to the next which is simply just too much to take for the real players. The game is over and nobody is ever playing again. My mi

Gratitude and Re-Committing

I didn't get the 'memo' but it looks like people are doing a 22 days of gratitude type of deal in lieu of the Thanksgiving holiday. Despite it being a little cliche, there's never a really good reason to not jump on board a gratitude wagon. Aside from that, I was also inspired by the lesson in one of my church meetings yesterday, that was simply on kindness, to re-commit to a few very important goals. 1. I am grateful for all four of mine, his, and our children. Parenting and step-parenting has proven to be one of the greatest ongoing challenges of my life. Not one of my kids is like the other. They all have unique stuggles, quirks and personalities that make me want to sometimes either squeeze them like crazy with happiness or frustration. ;) They are constantly reminding me (unverbally) of what my priorities should be and they are constantly teaching me patience. If I can keep calm and carry on (thanks Mr. Churchill), I think I might actually be okay at this parenti

The Plan

I guess I should first make a big disclosure about little Preston and what ADHD looks like for him so we all have a better gauge on if the Mars Venus approach works for him. Oh, my little Preston. He has a good heart and a sweet spirit, truly. I know the 'true' Preston wants to help, is empathetic and wants to succeed. I only get glimpses of that Preston when he is having an 'on' day and his brain is doing a better job producing what it should be. These glimpses of the 'true' Preston are hard because it makes him seem like he is capable of, well, being a pretty normal eight-year-old. And that is the hardest part about ADHD is that these kids on most levels appear to be totally normal. But they aren't. Preston's psychologist mentioned to us once a conversation he had with a teen that had ADHD. He said that if there were two things he could tell parents of kids with ADHD it would be 1) Don't give up and 2) Don't judge them by their 'good'