Skip to main content

Embrace our Differences

I had an old friend message me and ask me a question awhile back that she asked me to answer. She is a fiery and funny gal, nearing 30 and unmarried and the premise of her request was this: "Since I can't make anyone marry me, what I've decided to do is to focus on what I CAN do, especially since a lot of those things take quite a bit of time to implement & become habitual. Then when the time does come to get married, I'll have learned those things & be that much further ahead of the game." I thought I would share my insight here as her request falls completely in line with my life mantra "I only have control of myself." This has been especially helpful to repeat to myself in those moments when you are supposed to count to '10' before reacting/responding - I just repeat my mantra instead of counting. :)

Question: What is one (or a few) thing(s)/talents/skills you wish you'd developed before you got married/had kids or something you did that you've found to be very helpful/useful in your marriage. So, for instance, I've been multi-focal: developing an organizational plan & keeping to it, more consistent personal hygiene (don't freak out, I mean like flossing, & plucking eyebrows, make-up, dressing better), learing negotiation skills, getting out of debt/managing finances better, learning how to compromise when the stakes are high, facing fear, etc. etc. I'm sure you get the point. So my question is, what have you found most helpful? What do you wish you'd worked on?

Answer: I'm going with an overall viewpoint on this one, to embrace that we are different. Sounds simple doesn't it? But the real meaning of this kicks in when you and your spouse disagree on paint colors, couch fabric, china, humor in movies (my husband LOVES "Anger Management" and it's kind of a 'ehh' to me while I think "What's Up Doc" is hilarious and he'd rather work in the yard), disciplining kids, how to chop a red pepper or onion, how to load the dishwasher, what's a financial need vs. a necessity, or viewpoints on how I think laundry should be folded on its way out of the dryer as opposed to putting it on top of the dryer to get the next load in as quick as possible. As human beings, we grow-up trying to figure out how to get what we want and how we like things to be done. Our code of conduct and our viewpoints are what drive us and how we respond to every situation that arises in our day.

It is so easy to criticize someone else and honestly - aren't we just critical because it isn't the way we would do it or we think we have a better approach or solution? Isn't that why our gut reaction is to get defensive when someone questions what we do or how we regard something? Politics are so nasty simply because one person see's things one way, the other person see's them another way and both people think their way is right! And how much time and energy do we waste trying to get the other person to convert to our way of thinking? Too much if you ask me! Any change of heart or opinion is going to have to come from within. If we learned to accept each other's differences and respect their way of thinking, so many 'little issues' probably wouldn't be issues any more.

I was invited to dinner one night at a friend's house while my husband was out of town. They wouldn't let me help clean up so we chatted while they did the dishes. They started to bicker about how the dishes should be cleaned. She was the one cleaning and he was loading the washer and he wanted something done differently than how she was doing it. She simply said to him, "if you want it done a certain way than you are welcome to do it." It wasn't said with malice, she was simply letting him know that she was doing it her way and if he had a problem with it, he could take over. It was one of those 'light bulb' moments for me when I realized that if I wanted something done a specific way - I should do it. On the flip side, if my spouse wanted something done a specific way, he could do it. There isn't any point in arguing about it or wasting your precious energy on trying to convert the other person to doing it 'your way.' My way is not necessarily the right way, nor is 'his' way. The way we think things should be done really is just our preference. This is so applicable to parenting as well.

The other piece  of advice someone gave me but I didn't pay enough attention to, is to always look for the best in people, especially your spouse. If you focus on what is wrong, you will always find something wrong. If you focus on what is good and right, you will find more of that goodness. There is a balance here though that does include reality - if there is a major problem, that shouldn't be ignored. But for the day to day, focus on the positive. As for finding that 'someone' in your life, don't ever marry someone thinking you can 'change' the thing about them you don't like. You don't buy a Volkswagen and hope you can turn it into an Audi. If you buy a Volkswagen, it will always be a Volkswagen. You have to ask yourself if you can forever deal with the things that make you crazy about them (good and bad). You will forever only have control of yourself. And then choose to be happy!

Anyone have any other thoughts or words of wisdom for my good friend? What do you wish you had known or had done or developed a particular skill before getting married?

Comments

  1. This is awesome Brittany!! Haha! I wish I had known the same- that I hadn't expected him to change AT ALL. It would have saved me so much effort and frustration those first few years of marriage (and sometimes I still forget). :) That is SO TRUE... you will always find something to be happy about if you focus on the good. And that is a choice! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole! And amen sister! I myself forget and find myself trying to get him to change. It's a challenge sometimes to embrace those differences but heaven knows it is the way it should be! Thanks for the comment!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ah The Joys Of Summer!

Life is nuts isn't it? And we all know that it never really calms down - the challenges simply change. School's out. Yay!! (No - that's not me talking, that's my kids). My two youngest are fighting like the world might end tomorrow and they need to let each other know how annoying and despicable the other one thinks they are. The toddler manhandles Preston's Lego car and Preston throws it in anger yelling that the toddler ruined it - and not just the Lego car - his LIFE! "This is the worst day of my life!" Sigh. I suggest a simple and relaxing game of Candy Land. They show up to the game table with their best of poker faces and they are not going to let anyone or anything steal away their chance at sweet victory. Accusations of cheating and board-manipulation fly, all the while the toddler simply moves his piece from one spot to the next which is simply just too much to take for the real players. The game is over and nobody is ever playing again. My mi

Gratitude and Re-Committing

I didn't get the 'memo' but it looks like people are doing a 22 days of gratitude type of deal in lieu of the Thanksgiving holiday. Despite it being a little cliche, there's never a really good reason to not jump on board a gratitude wagon. Aside from that, I was also inspired by the lesson in one of my church meetings yesterday, that was simply on kindness, to re-commit to a few very important goals. 1. I am grateful for all four of mine, his, and our children. Parenting and step-parenting has proven to be one of the greatest ongoing challenges of my life. Not one of my kids is like the other. They all have unique stuggles, quirks and personalities that make me want to sometimes either squeeze them like crazy with happiness or frustration. ;) They are constantly reminding me (unverbally) of what my priorities should be and they are constantly teaching me patience. If I can keep calm and carry on (thanks Mr. Churchill), I think I might actually be okay at this parenti

I Can Only Change ME

I CAN ONLY CHANGE ME Welcome my friend! I have taken some time-off (well, a lot of time off) but the break - and long awaited return - is over! And I figured there was no better way to jump back in to this than to re-state what the whole purpose of this blog is. (Are blogs on the out now? Do I need a .com address to be 'legit?' Well, whatever, this is where I'm startin'!) The crazy part is, over the years, this ONE key concept - I CAN ONLY CHANGE ME - is what I keep coming back to and what my ultimate fallback is. I may be a slow learner folks, but I'll probably never get it. Yes - that is not a typo - I probably will  never master this, but I sure can work at it every day! As I say that, I realize I need to offer my kids and my husband way more grace and forgiveness than I do because I am myself am a repeat offender in all things bad and luckily all things good as well. This right here is the foundation to this whole blog: You can't change anyone but your