Skip to main content

Relax and Your Body Will Thank You



I had the opportunity a couple of nights ago to have a chat with renowned personal trainer Pete Cerqua. I have been reading his book The 90-Second Fitness Solution and loving it! As I was speaking with him, there was one nugget of information that stood out to me the most and it wasn’t necessarily the fact he pointed out but the reason for it.

You will see greater results and benefit from a 30 minute walk once a week than an hour of running every day. Why? The psychological effect and the lack of STRESS that comes with the walking. When you go for a walk, you are calm, relaxed, you are outside taking in what is around you; it’s just plain pleasant. When you hit the pavement for a run you are on a mission and it has to be ‘x’ intense and it has multiple requirements (by us) and stressors that go with it (not to mention that running is stressful on the body and Pete actually has you make a ‘withdrawl’ from your ‘life balance’ sheet for it).

I also read some tips from Dr. Oz the other day and one of them talked about simplifying your daily routine and having the same ‘darn breakfast’ every day to make your life easier. Another point he made was that if you are NOT five minutes early to where ever you are supposed to be, you are late. Why are these points so imperative - the psychological factor and the stress that accompanies them takes a toll for better or worse. We all know how stress can affect us, but I don’t know if I have truly given stress the attention it deserves. We’ve heard about cortisol that actually helps our bodies retain fat when we are stressed. We also know that stress weakens the immune system (heavy stress actually depletes your body completely of white blood cells – and we need those to fight infections and disease!).  Stress leads to ulcers, migraines, inflammation, pre-mature aging! Yikes!

As I read and study, there is a constant conflict of information that is out there. Some people say High Fructose Corn Syrup is just like sugar and that there is no difference, while others say your body doesn’t know how to process it.  I wouldn’t doubt that for every study that Pete quoted, there was another study done elsewhere that had a different result. I’ve heard it recommended that our bodies need variety and we should have something different for breakfast every day! So what is right? I don’t have proof of this – this is opinion per Brittany – but I think what I’m about to say is pretty valid. What works for you, is what is best for you. BUT WAIT! Before you get all enthused, I have one caveat and that is you do have to make decisions based on good information, sound reason and logic and plain ole’ common sense and wisdom.  If you loved eating half a cake every night and felt just fine about it, you would still gain weight, if not balloon. When I spent two months in Europe and was eating out often, I didn’t gain any weight. I didn’t gorge when I ate, I exercised and I wasn’t worrying about food. The stress that comes with having to do something a certain way, it seems to me, is where the real problem lies. I tend to hang on to wait that I’m trying to get rid of when I fixate on eating and working out. I’m stressed!!

When I last met with Preston’s counselor, we talked seriously about picking and choosing battles and working on staying calm and asking myself,  ‘what is the main goal here?’ or “what is the point I am trying to get across?” The heart of the matter was me and my health and reducing stress. Getting all worked up over life, essentially, will put my health in a precarious position. I still discipline, and I still get frustrated, but I ask myself regularly – how much negative energy do I really want to put toward that?

One of the four main factors in Pete’s book is stress and I love the points and suggestions he makes. That is as a big of a factor on one’s health as what we put in our bodies and how we take care of them. Now go for a walk and enjoy the day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ah The Joys Of Summer!

Life is nuts isn't it? And we all know that it never really calms down - the challenges simply change. School's out. Yay!! (No - that's not me talking, that's my kids). My two youngest are fighting like the world might end tomorrow and they need to let each other know how annoying and despicable the other one thinks they are. The toddler manhandles Preston's Lego car and Preston throws it in anger yelling that the toddler ruined it - and not just the Lego car - his LIFE! "This is the worst day of my life!" Sigh. I suggest a simple and relaxing game of Candy Land. They show up to the game table with their best of poker faces and they are not going to let anyone or anything steal away their chance at sweet victory. Accusations of cheating and board-manipulation fly, all the while the toddler simply moves his piece from one spot to the next which is simply just too much to take for the real players. The game is over and nobody is ever playing again. My mi

Gratitude and Re-Committing

I didn't get the 'memo' but it looks like people are doing a 22 days of gratitude type of deal in lieu of the Thanksgiving holiday. Despite it being a little cliche, there's never a really good reason to not jump on board a gratitude wagon. Aside from that, I was also inspired by the lesson in one of my church meetings yesterday, that was simply on kindness, to re-commit to a few very important goals. 1. I am grateful for all four of mine, his, and our children. Parenting and step-parenting has proven to be one of the greatest ongoing challenges of my life. Not one of my kids is like the other. They all have unique stuggles, quirks and personalities that make me want to sometimes either squeeze them like crazy with happiness or frustration. ;) They are constantly reminding me (unverbally) of what my priorities should be and they are constantly teaching me patience. If I can keep calm and carry on (thanks Mr. Churchill), I think I might actually be okay at this parenti

Day One

I have to admit that I went to bed excited and woke up excited - I have alot of faith that the shakes and supplements will work for Preston. I was listening to a woman talk yesterday and she mentioned that God has the power to do anything - if it is the right course of action. She said that it didn't matter what anybody told you (you will never be able to have kids, you have six months to live) because if you had faith and didn't give up, anything could happen. This really struck me as I know several people and have heard stories of people beating the odds; I have even heard of a few miracles. I know people that were told they wouldn't have children, and now have a family. Miracles do happen and I think they happen when there is alot faith. This thought gave me strength and I am excited because anything can happen really. With that being said, when I got Preston back from his dad last night I gave him 1 C-Lyte and 1 Grapefruit Seed Extract capsule. I need to first say t