Skip to main content

Halloween Spider Cookies

So, I missed my post yesterday because I got over-involved in a kitchen re-organization. My kitchen isn't even that messy but I pulled out the vacuum and sucked up the crumbs in the drawers and re-located various items to make my kitchen time not only funner, but easier (and to make room for some new gadgets that I just got from Pampered Chef - which makes kitchen time SO much happier!). The really ridiculous part is that I love doing it - all the time. I've always had a very organized personality. I'm good with that.

At any rate, I spent the day before, Halloween, making my famous chili and cornbread and spider cookies. I went to greater lengths this year as I hunted down natural licorice for the spider legs and a red hot replacement for the spider eyeballs. I used a natural cake mix which honestly, just isn't the same as the cake mix that uses those unstable and brain-altering partially hydrogenated oil molecules. Did you the know the half-life of partially hydrogenated oil is 122 days? That means that after you have consumed something with PHO in it, it is in your body doing who knows what for that amount of time? Crazy!! With that being said, I'd still rather have the taste suffer just a titch than to use partially hydrogenated anything. But that's just me.

Here is my oreo cookie/spider cookie recipe that was always one of the things my mom did that hallmarked halloween for me. She of course used the real red vine rope and red hots which I did for several years as well. Whatever works for you!

Halloween Spider Cookies
1 Package Devil's Food/Chocolate Cake Mix
2 Eggs
1/2 Cup Oil
Optional (1/2 cups Chocolate Chips)

Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. When you take them out of the oven use the bottom of a glass to press down and flatten the cookies a bit.

Creme Filling
8 oz Cream Cheese
1/4 Cup butter
1 tsp Vanilla
3 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar

Or you can make a regular white frosting to use for the filling. I don't usually use the cream cheese recipe and I almost always add 1 tsp of almond extract to the frosting recipe I do use. Almond extract makes the world a happier place.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ah The Joys Of Summer!

Life is nuts isn't it? And we all know that it never really calms down - the challenges simply change. School's out. Yay!! (No - that's not me talking, that's my kids). My two youngest are fighting like the world might end tomorrow and they need to let each other know how annoying and despicable the other one thinks they are. The toddler manhandles Preston's Lego car and Preston throws it in anger yelling that the toddler ruined it - and not just the Lego car - his LIFE! "This is the worst day of my life!" Sigh. I suggest a simple and relaxing game of Candy Land. They show up to the game table with their best of poker faces and they are not going to let anyone or anything steal away their chance at sweet victory. Accusations of cheating and board-manipulation fly, all the while the toddler simply moves his piece from one spot to the next which is simply just too much to take for the real players. The game is over and nobody is ever playing again. My mi

Gratitude and Re-Committing

I didn't get the 'memo' but it looks like people are doing a 22 days of gratitude type of deal in lieu of the Thanksgiving holiday. Despite it being a little cliche, there's never a really good reason to not jump on board a gratitude wagon. Aside from that, I was also inspired by the lesson in one of my church meetings yesterday, that was simply on kindness, to re-commit to a few very important goals. 1. I am grateful for all four of mine, his, and our children. Parenting and step-parenting has proven to be one of the greatest ongoing challenges of my life. Not one of my kids is like the other. They all have unique stuggles, quirks and personalities that make me want to sometimes either squeeze them like crazy with happiness or frustration. ;) They are constantly reminding me (unverbally) of what my priorities should be and they are constantly teaching me patience. If I can keep calm and carry on (thanks Mr. Churchill), I think I might actually be okay at this parenti

Day One

I have to admit that I went to bed excited and woke up excited - I have alot of faith that the shakes and supplements will work for Preston. I was listening to a woman talk yesterday and she mentioned that God has the power to do anything - if it is the right course of action. She said that it didn't matter what anybody told you (you will never be able to have kids, you have six months to live) because if you had faith and didn't give up, anything could happen. This really struck me as I know several people and have heard stories of people beating the odds; I have even heard of a few miracles. I know people that were told they wouldn't have children, and now have a family. Miracles do happen and I think they happen when there is alot faith. This thought gave me strength and I am excited because anything can happen really. With that being said, when I got Preston back from his dad last night I gave him 1 C-Lyte and 1 Grapefruit Seed Extract capsule. I need to first say t