Skip to main content

Getting Outside of My Busy Head


We had the opportunity to head down south this weekend to St. George and go the Thunder Over Utah air show. It was the highlight of my weekend. I've said it before and I'll say it again - I LOVE AIRPLANES! Everybody has their thing and this is definitely one of mine. I get all misty-eyed when these planes take off and fly around; I turn into a two-year-old little boy whose biggest dream is to become a pilot. My little nephew had thought about wearing his little flight suit, and I laughed and thought, "I should have worn mine!" It isn't until later that I actually think that for an adult that could be a little strange. In another life I'll fly a fighter jet. Sigh.

We also went for a hike around Pioneer Park that is mostly red rock and slot canyons. I carried Bentley around for alot of the way because he wasn't making much progress teetering back and forth unsure of what to make of the red rock and sand. He truly looked like Frankenstein. At one point, we walked past this tree with small (smaller than the size of my fingernail) green and shiny leaves. Bentley immediately reached out for it; I on the other didn't even notice it. I had my eyes ahead and was just going through the motions of walking and most likely thinking about where to stop and grab lunch so we could get on the road to pick up the dog before the kennel closed and that Bentley was going to need a bath and so was the dog and so on; you get the idea. I was enjoying the feeling of the rock under my feet but I snapped out of the business of my head when he reached for this tree. I stopped in front of it and he very gingerly touched the small leaves and smiled. In that moment it was the most amazing thing he had ever seen and touched. It was a wonderful moment and reminder to me to really look around and see life through a different set of eyes.

To little Bentley (who is just over one-year-old), everything is a wonder. I haven't become completely desensitized as I still look at the beauty around me, but not on such a small level. I look at flowers and their colors but to stop and look at these tiny, shiny leaves was wonderful. I was grateful for his little reminder to get outside of my busy head and enjoy the present and everything in it. I preach it to my kids so often and I realize I can be just as guilty of missing out on the small and simple wonders as anybody else.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ah The Joys Of Summer!

Life is nuts isn't it? And we all know that it never really calms down - the challenges simply change. School's out. Yay!! (No - that's not me talking, that's my kids). My two youngest are fighting like the world might end tomorrow and they need to let each other know how annoying and despicable the other one thinks they are. The toddler manhandles Preston's Lego car and Preston throws it in anger yelling that the toddler ruined it - and not just the Lego car - his LIFE! "This is the worst day of my life!" Sigh. I suggest a simple and relaxing game of Candy Land. They show up to the game table with their best of poker faces and they are not going to let anyone or anything steal away their chance at sweet victory. Accusations of cheating and board-manipulation fly, all the while the toddler simply moves his piece from one spot to the next which is simply just too much to take for the real players. The game is over and nobody is ever playing again. My mi

I Can Only Change ME

I CAN ONLY CHANGE ME Welcome my friend! I have taken some time-off (well, a lot of time off) but the break - and long awaited return - is over! And I figured there was no better way to jump back in to this than to re-state what the whole purpose of this blog is. (Are blogs on the out now? Do I need a .com address to be 'legit?' Well, whatever, this is where I'm startin'!) The crazy part is, over the years, this ONE key concept - I CAN ONLY CHANGE ME - is what I keep coming back to and what my ultimate fallback is. I may be a slow learner folks, but I'll probably never get it. Yes - that is not a typo - I probably will  never master this, but I sure can work at it every day! As I say that, I realize I need to offer my kids and my husband way more grace and forgiveness than I do because I am myself am a repeat offender in all things bad and luckily all things good as well. This right here is the foundation to this whole blog: You can't change anyone but your

Have a laugh!

I have a super simple short post to write today.  Now stick with me on this - you'll be confused for a minute... I can totally write this while I look at your cute freckled face. And your giggles make me happy! Are you impressed yet? You need a haircut. And your teeth to be cleaned - don't frowny face me young man! Your freckles will not make up for your nasty dirty teeth! And you have chocolate on your face. Stick your tongue back in your mouth and go wash it off your face! I just typed all that while looking at my son and he read it as I typed. He was of course extremely impressed with my mad skillz, but also got a good laugh out of it. Do you make your kids laugh? Every day? That's actually one of my biggest goals - to make everyone in my family laugh at least once! Not because I'm funny (although - here's to hoping!) but because laughter is good for the soul; on a physiological level - did you know that? When you smile and laugh, it releases the feel-goo